- Reductive Relief Workshop
Reductive Relief Workshop
Class Date: March 26-27, 2022
Class Time: 10am - 5pm (with a lunch break)
Class Fee: $240 + tax
Instructor: Holland Hardie
Reductive relief is a beautiful subset of relief printmaking that allows you to create multicolor images with a single block of wood or linoleum. You begin by carving out the very lightest parts of the image and printing it in a light ink color, like a pale grey or yellow. Then, you carve out the middle values from the same block as before, and print this over the first layer in a slightly darker color. This process is repeated as many times as desired, with darker ink on each layer. The resulting print has complex shading and a wide range of values, leading to dramatic and colorful prints.
In this workshop, participants will learn to:
- use block cutting tools safely & successfully
- plan out the various layers of a multicolor print
- use a brayer to apply ink to a block
- print the block using a printing press
- use basic color theory & composition
- register multi-layered prints
- print a small edition of multilayered prints
This class relies on some previous knowledge of relief printmaking - in order to participate you must either take the preceding Intro to Relief class (January 29th), take a day of private instruction, or prove that you have previous experience working with linocut tools.
See our Cancellation Policy.